Label

Monday, November 26, 2012

Scar or Birthmark?


Photo found here:
http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/2010/12/27/
drew-brees-scar-isnt-a-scar-at-all-its-a/
I don’t watch much television these days…really I just don’t know where I can fit it in?!? 

However, over the long weekend, I did catch a program that highlighted some celebrities.

My boy was hooked into watching it because Quarterback, Drew Brees was on the show sharing bits about his life. 

I was walking by the TV with a load of laundry and Brees’s words compelled my soul and caused my feet to plant into the carpet at that moment.  Normally, I said I don’t watch TV, but at this moment I planted myself right in front of it and my families’ voices echoed behind me “Mom!”  As my sudden intrigue undoubtedly blocked their view. 

Brees was talking about the scar on his right cheek; and I have to giggle a little bit because I am not a huge fan and never noticed the scar before; but I did at the beginning of the show and was thinking he must have suffered a good hit during the previous week’s game. 


Did you know about Drew Brees’ scar on his face?  If you didn’t, like me, we are not alone.  Check out this clip of Brees on the Oprah show back in 2010.  Oprah thought he had lipstick on his face-ha!

While I was being encouraged to move my feet away from the TV during this program Brees’s words about his scar stuck to me. 

We all have scars, don’t we?  They may not be physical scars – maybe they are emotional scars that we can’t see but we know that they are there. 

Brees acknowledged that we all have something and said, “I don’t want to have it removed; it’s a part of me (referring to his birthmark/scar).” 

Really?!?  Now that is perspective!

I thought of how much energy I have expended in my life wanting to remove my scars.  Scars from previous relationships, scars from past abuse, scars from mistakes I’ve made…all scars that I wish were not there. 

Why not wear them as part of me?  Why not wear yours as a part of you? 

No need to hide them…just let them be. 

For, like Drew Brees said, we all have something! 

And I think of many in the Bible who had scars that they just let be.  Take Peter for instance who wore the scar of denial three times.  I bet he can relate to my desire at times to remove some scars – for the Bible says he wept bitterly after his denial.  (Matthew 26) 

Whether it is a scar that we were born with, a scar caused by our own mistakes or a scar caused by the negligence of another…if we surrender it all to Jesus- we are justified freely by His grace (Romans 3).  And we are saved by His grace, (Eph 2). 

May we accept it all for what it is and let our marks be...

“How you made me is amazing and wonderful. I praise you for that. What you have done is wonderful. I know that very well.”  (Psalm 139:14 NrIV)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this! It is so true that we try to hide our scars, not wanting anyone to see them, but it is our story. I am going to embrace my scars, knowing that I have been Redeemed!!