Label

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Unpause...See Wonderful Things!


I’m returning to ra’ah this morning. In studying this I came across Jehovah- Raah which means The Lord my Shepherd and I learned that the chief meaning of Jehovah is derived from the Hebrew word Havah meaning ‘to be’ or ‘ to exist’ and also suggests ‘to become or specifically ‘to be known.’ This also denotes that we serve a God who reveals Himself unceasingly to us…Oh, I hope you agree!!!

I love it; God desires for us to ra’ah (see)! Are you looking?


I wanted to go back to Psalm 119:18 “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.” The King James Version uses the word, behold; and this word for see is not the same as ra’ah talked about earlier. In Isaiah 40:5 “…all mankind together will see it.” And also in Isaiah 52:10 “…all the ends of the earth will see.” This time God is making it personal, “…that I may see.” And if you were reading it yourself…that you would see!!! The Hebrew word in Psalm 119:18 translated here is nabat which means to look, to regard, to pay attention.
This same Hebrew word is used in Proverbs 4:25 “Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.” NIV…the KJV says it this way, “Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.” The verses preceding this remind me that where my heart is so will my heart and eyes be and everything else for that matter. I always seem to find time to watch what I enjoy…and I’m reminded to keep looking at what is important!!! It is so important for me to keep boundaries and not to go after everything I see (hmmmm…hence my own need right now for a FB vacation). I must look straight ahead and keep my eyes fixed on the goal and not get distracted.

My thoughts go back to 1 Peter 1:13…I must prepare my mind and heart for action and seek God first!!! For I am His and He is waiting for me to ask great things of Him so that He may be revealed again and again! Yes, He wants me to ask and then look for an answer!!


Our church is gearing up for studying the 40 Days of Purpose together and so many are also partaking in Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University...if these next weeks are not about preparing our hearts and minds to see God and His specific purpose and plan for us…I don’t know what is!!! I’m so ready and willing to get this heart of mine ready to see!!

And I just wonder if a bit of the difference between ra’ ah and nabat might be that God wants to not only reveal to us as a whole…like he wants us to collectively see (ra'ah)…but I also think that God who desires to have a personal intimate relationship with each and every one of us, may have something specific and individual for each one of us to see personally (nabat)!


You know not seeing or being blind folded for a time is frustrating. My youngest son thinks glasses are cool since several students in his class now have glasses and he tells me that he needs glasses to see.

It is not cool if we can't see; and if we can't see we need to get a pair of prescription glasses so that we can see. I think we all know that the prescription given from our God to see is reading His Word. May we not blind ourselves and neglect to pick it up and read it. Oh may each of us prepare our hearts and minds and say wholeheartedly, “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things…”

Are you preparing to see for yourself?? Are you ready to respond and be amazed??

Thank you Father for showing Yourself and allowing us the opportunity to see both collectively and personally...may You find me faithful.

No comments: